Angola’s Unitel offers US$7.5 million to operate in Sao Tome and Principe

15 March 2013

Angolan telecommunications company Unitel International Holding has proposed to pay US$7.5 million for the second fixed line and mobile telecommunications license in Sao Tome and Principe if its offer is approved by the archipelago’s government, pan-African news agency Panapress reported.

Citing official sources, the agency said that, under the terms of the financial proposal put forward as part o the public tender launched by the Sao tome government and Tuesday opened at the General Regulatory Authority (Ager)headquarters, the Angolan company proposes to hand over a single cheque made out to the Sao Tome Treasury within five days.

Also according to Panapress, sources from the Ager assessment commission, assisted by consultants from the World Bank, said that nothing had been decided yet.

However, they said that the technical proposal from the Angolan operator was “quite ambitious” and included setting up a new company called Unitel STP, which will have the latest telecommunications equipment.

In Angola Unitel is the telecommunications market leader with 10 million customers and in 2012 it posted turnover of over US$945 million. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH