Angola’s General Population and Housing Census, the first for 40 years, is due to begin on 16 May 2014 with a pilot scheme in a few provinces, the director-general of the National Statistics Institute (INE), said Monday in Luanda.
Camilo Ceitas, who is also the coordinator of the Central Census Office (GCC), said that the provinces selected for the pilot scheme were Luanda, Cunene, Huambo, Kwando Kubango, Kwanza Norte, Uíge and Namibe.
Cited by the Sol newspaper, Ceitas noted that the previous census in Angola had been carried out in 1973, during the colonial period and added that this census was estimated to cost tens of millions of dollars, and the pilot census would cost US$1 million.
In 2014, INE will temporarily employ over 65,000 people, becoming the country’s largest employer, and the director of the technical department of the Central Census Office, Paulo Fonseca noted that the information gathered would be provided to the whole of society, including the public and private sector.
The provisional results of the 2014 Census are expected to be published three months after the end of the process. (macauhub)