Brazilian government to hand more airports over to private sector managers

3 June 2013

The auction to hand over the airports of Confins (Minas Gerais) and Galeão (Rio de Janeiro) to private managers is due to be held on 30 October and will be more demanding than a previous auction, said the Minister for the Brazilian Civil Aviation Secretariat.

Minister Moreira Franco also said that the aim of the new requirements was to ensure that Brazilian airports would be managed according to international standards, although the same concession model will be kept in place, in which Brazilian state company Infraero Aeroportos will have a 49 percent stake and the winning consortium will take the remaining 51 percent.

The drafts of the public notices were approved by the |National Civil Aviation Agency (ANAC), the proposals will be put up for public consultation and two public consultations will be held in Belo Horizonte and Rio de Janeiro, on 17 and 18 June, respectively.

The winners of the previous concession are not allowed to take part in this auction, in order to allow for competition between airports, and consortiums should have a minimum stake of 25 percent of a company that is involved in managing and airport terminal with at least 35 million passengers.

In the case of Galeão airport the concession will have a lifetime of 25 years, during which there will be a minimum investment of 5.2 billion reals, for expansion of the passenger terminal, of the new cargo terminal and construction of a new runway.

In Confins, the winning consortium will have to invest 3.5 billion reals over 30 years, on a new passenger terminal and a new runway.

The previous auction, for the concession of Guarulhos and Campinas airports, in Sao Paulo and Brasilia, was held in February 2012. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH