Portuguese beer group Unicer due to start operating in Angola in 2016

18 October 2013

The factory owned by Portuguese beer maker Unicer in Angola is expected to start operating in 2016, with initial production capacity of 120 million litres of beer per year, the group’s new chief executive said.

João Abecassis, who replaced Pires de Lima after he left the group to become the Economy Minister of the new government, noted that initial production was the same as the amount of beer currently exported to Angola.

Construction of the factory and the group’s entry into the Angolan market will be as part fo a partnership in which Unicer has a 49 percent share, and the remaining 51 percent of the company, known as Única, is owned by four Angolan shareholders.

The Portuguese group is controlled by two large shareholders, Carlsberg with 44 percent and Viacer with the remaining 56 percent. Viacer itself is owned by three Portuguese groups – Violas (46 percent), Arsopi (28 percent) and BPI (26 percent). (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH