Macau receives 29.3 million visitors in 2013

23 January 2014

The Macau Special Administrative Region (MSAR) received over 29.3 million visitors in 2013, a figure which represents a rise of 4 percent year on year, the director of the Macau Government Tourist Office (MGTO), Helena Senna Fernandes, said Wednesday.

Senna Fernandes said that there had been a 3 percent drop in the number of international visitors, despite a rise “in important markets” such as South Korea, Thailand and “new markets” such as Russia, which saw a rise of 13 percent.

Similarly to 2013, in which mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan were the top three sources of visitors to Macau, the number of visitors in 2014 is expected to rise “very slightly” and at a lower rate than last year.

Most of the visitors – more than 63 percent of 18.45 million people – came from mainland China, with a rise of 10 percent on the previous year, and of which 44 percent were from Guangdong province.

“Mainland China is and will continue to be the main source of tourists for Macau,” said Senna Fernandes. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH