China State Grid partners Brazil’s for auction in Brazil

24 January 2014

A consortium made up of China State Grid and Brazil’s Eletrobras is the favourite to win the biggest auction of the year in the Brazilian energy sector – the transmission system of the Belo Monte hydroelectric facility – according to Brazilian financial daily Valor Económico.

The auction is scheduled for 7 February and the winner will have to invest 5 billion reals to build two converting stations, two sub-stations and a 2,092-kilometre transmission line between the region of Altamira, in the state of Pará, and Estreito, in the southern state of Minas Gerais.

The transmission line will be the first direct current ultra-high-voltage line (800 KV) in Brazil.

The favourite consortium, in which China State Grid has a 51 percent stake and Eletrobras the remaining 49 percent, includes two large state groups. The Chinese group is the largest power transmission company in the world and Eletrobras has a power grid covering 58,000 kilometres, or 52 percent of the total grid in Brazil. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH