Waiting time at port of Luanda reduced to three days

28 April 2014

Two new cranes have been installed at the port of Luanda, Angola’s most important port, which has reduced the waiting time for ships by around 80 percent to three days, said the Luanda Port Company’s commercial, safety and environmental director.

Alberto António Bengue said that waiting time had fallen from 16 days in 2008 to three days last year, which compared well with the 2.5 days average wait at the container port in Durban, South Africa.

“Investments in modern loading and unloading facilities, in training human resources and an additional dock,” Bengue said, adding that the port’s management company expected the number of containers handled to exceed 1 million by the end of 2014.

Container traffic in Luanda has more than doubled over the last five years to 912,900 in 2013, or around a third of the number handled in Durban. However, Bengue noted that a new port was planned for the Barra do Dande area, 50 kilometres to the north of the current port of Luanda, which would make it possible to challenge South Africa as the main entry point into countries such as Zambia.

The port of Luanda processes around 80 percent of the cargo sent to Angola, which imports most of the industrial products it consumes. Of the 11.3 million tons of cargo that reached the country in 2013, around 70 percent arrived in containers and the remaining 30 percent in bulk.

The commercial, safety and environmental director of the Luanda Port Company (Empresa Portuária de Luanda) told financial news agency Bloomberg that this year the company expects a 4 percent increase in the number of ships arriving at the port. In 2013 the port received a total of 1,119 ships. (macauhub/AO)

MACAUHUB FRENCH