Japanese consortium builds gas-fired power station in Maputo, Mozambique

20 October 2014

Mozambican power company EdM has hired a Japanese consortium made up of Tokyo Electric Power Services Co. (TEPSCO) e a Oriental Consultants Japan Co. (Oriconsul) to build a second gas-fired power plant in southern Mozambique, costing US$166 million.

The power plant will be built in Maputo and will have a capacity of 100 megawatts (MW), said the president of EdM, Gildo Sibumbe

In August EdM inaugurated a gas-fired power plant in Ressano Garcia, in Moamba district, Maputo, with a capacity of 150 megawatts (MW).

Built by a consortium that includes the EdM, with 51 percent, and South African petrochemical group Sasol, with the remaining 49 percent, the facility’s main fuel will be natural gas extracted in Pande and Temane in Inhambane province, and represents an investment of US$250 million. (macauhub/MZ)

MACAUHUB FRENCH