UNDP finances mini-hydro plants in Sao Tome and Principe

24 October 2014

The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) will provide US$6 million for the construction of a mini-hydroelectric plants to produce 5 megawatts of electricity on the island of Principe, the president of the regional government said Thursday.

José Cassandra made the announcement after receiving UNDP representative, Mozambique’s José Salema, on the island of Principe for a meeting as part of the programme to adapt to climate change in Sao Tome and Principe.

In order to produce renewable energy on Principe, replacing the thermal power for hydro power, the regional president said that work would begin in early 2015 and concluded within five years.

Cassandra stressed that “this funding comes as part of a programme of climate change adaptation for Principe,” taking into account the fluvial potential of Principe, 150 kilometres from Sao Tome.

Currently, the Principe region’s power production of 3 megawatts, produced at a thermal plant and supplied by Empresa de Água e Electricidade (EMAE) does not cover the island’s needs.

With power demand of 15 megawatts, Sao Tome and Principe, through EMAE, is able to generate just 12 megawatts, 80 percent of which is produced by thermal power plants and the remaining 20 percent ​​by hydroelectric plants along the Contadores and Guegue rivers, located in the extreme north and south of the island of Sao Tome. (macauhub/ST)

MACAUHUB FRENCH