A train arrived Monday in Nacala-a-Velha, in Mozambique’s Nampula province, having left Moatize days before, carrying a variety of cargo in order to test the line, according to Mozambican daily newspaper Notícias.
This will be the railway that will transport coal mined in Moatize, Tete province, to the port under construction in Nacala, built as part of the project Northern Integrated Logistics Corridor (CLN), which includes Brazilian group Vale and Mozambican port and railway company CFM.
Notícias also said the train had left days before from Nacala-a-Velha towards Moatize with empty wagons, and on its return was carrying a variety of goods other than coal.
According to information that was issued, the trains that will ensure the transport of coal from Moatize to the Nacala-a-Velha coal terminal should have an average length of 1,500 meters and will be made up of more than 120 coal trucks pulled by four locomotives .
Normal coal transport to the Nacala-a-Velha terminal will be offered by just over 90 locomotives, the first of which arrived in Mozambique in early July, according to information previously advanced by CLN.
The railway will offer universal access to all coal producers located in Tete province, under a memorandum of understanding signed between the government of Mozambique and the consortium promoting construction of the railway and the pricing model is currently under consideration.
CLN’s hope to offer a transport capacity of over 11 million tons per year by the end of 2015 and continue to make investments to reach 13 million tons in 2016 and 18 million tons in 2017.
Development of project of the port of Nacala-a-Velha and the Moatize/Nacala railway, run by Sociedade de Desenvolvimento do Corredor do Norte and owned by Vale Moçambique, with 80 percent, and CFM, with the remaining 20 percent, represents an investment of US$4.5 billion. (macauhub/BR/MZ)