Quotas on imports of drinks ordered by the government of Angola are due to be put in place in the second half of the year, said Monday in Luanda a representative of the Angola Association of Beverage Industries.
Joaquim Tandala said the association had received the assurance that quotas, previously scheduled for March, would take effect on 1 July and underlined the fact that some caution was necessary “given that this is a new measure.”
“There has never been an import quota, it’s a new thing, requiring some care from the government not to undermine fair competition,” said Tandala during the “Angola Business Week” forum held in Luanda.
Imports of drinks cost Angola around US$400 million each year, more than half of which arrive in the country from Portugal.
In January the Angolan government set a general import quota for 2015 on water (150,000 hectolitres), soft drinks (200,000), beer (400,000) and juice (200 000), which measure has been a concern for Portuguese beverage companies, particularly brewers.
The aim of the Angolan government is to accelerate diversification of the economy, which is dependent on oil exports and is now facing a financial crisis due to the fall in the international price of oil.
“The Angolan Association of Beverage Industries is satisfied with the quotas because they will capitalise on our capacity,” concluded Tandala, cited by newspaper Jornal de Angola. (macauhub/AO/PT)