Privatisation of railway companies in Portugal to be conducted by direct sale

7 May 2015

The privatisation process of Portuguese railway cargo company Comoboios de Portugal Carga (CP Carga) and rail maintenance company Empresa de Manutenção de Equipamento Ferroviário (EMEF) will be carried out through a “direct sale and private negotiation with one or more foreign or national investors,” according to information published Wednesday in the Official Gazette, Portugal’s official newspaper.

The sale will be of a maximum of 95 percent of the capital, leaving the remaining 5 percent reserved for workers of the two state-owned companies.

For those interested in the privatisation of EMEF, the government has set a requirement to take into consideration “the quality and credibility of the strategic project presented” to ensure “the strengthening of its competitiveness and efficiency, as part of activities currently carried out for the national railway sector and promoting its internationalisation in order to penetrate other markets on a global scale.”

In the case of CP Carga, applicants will have to prove their commitment to the strategic plan, and also “promote an internationalisation project aimed at penetrating other markets across Europe, contributing to the growth and development of the national economy, particularly the Portuguese export sector.” (macauhub/PT)

MACAUHUB FRENCH