Angola pays for initial work on future Baynes dam

9 September 2015

Angola will pay US$1.24 million to fund initial work to build a dam in partnership with Namibia on the Kunene River, with capacity to produce 600 megawatts of electricity, according to a presidential order.

The Baynes dam was presented in November, in Luanda, by the governments of both countries and the project will now have an office for the Angolan side to “finalise outstanding issues” on its financing, management and implementation, with a budget of US$405,000.

The same presidential order, cited by Portuguese news agency Lusa, approves an expense of US$835,000 for “completion of all outstanding issues” identified in the feasibility study on the Angolan side of the Kunene River, the natural border between the two countries.

Production of the future Baynes Hydroelectric Facility, covering part of the Angolan province of Namibe (southern Angola) will be shared by the two countries, which will pay for 30 percent of the total cost, and the remaining 70 percent of the investment will be secured through bank financing.

The dam, which is expected to take seven years to build, will be made of rock fill with concrete, will have a height of 200 metres and a crown length in excess of 1 kilometre, and a storage capacity of 2.56 billion cubic metres of water in a reservoir that is 40 kilometres long. (macauhub/AO)

MACAUHUB FRENCH