Petronas subsidiary expands business in Mozambique

15 September 2015

Engen Ltd increased its capacity to supply oil products to the countries of Southern Africa with the recent opening of the Beira Terminal, in Mozambique’s Sofala province, the company said in a statement issued Monday.

The company’s shareholders are state-owned group Petroliam Nasional Berhad of Malaysia (Petronas), with 80 percent and South African group Pembani, which focuses its activities in the energy sector in sub-Saharan Africa, with the remaining 20 percent.

The Beira Terminal, with a capacity of 24,000 cubic metres, will supply gasoline, diesel fuel and lubricants to the main consumption centres in Mozambique and in other countries in the region where Engen Ltd is present, such as Zimbabwe.

Engen Ltd started operating in Mozambique in 1996 and over the past 19 years has set up a retail network and obtained a portfolio of clients that include Vale Moçambique, of Brazilian group Vale and Anglo-Australian group Rio Tinto, which in 2014 sold its coal assets in Mozambique to Indian consortium International Coal Ventures Ltd (ICVL).

In 2011, the company bought the assets and all Chevron’s business in Mozambique, the following year built a tank with a capacity of 2 million litres in the ICVL coal mine and in 2013 another one with a capacity of half a million litres of lubricants at Vale’s coal mine in Moatize. (macauhub/MZ)

MACAUHUB FRENCH