Angola focuses on increasing coffee production

14 March 2016

The director of the Angolan National Coffee Institute (INCA), João Ferreira Neto, last week in the Amboim municipality launched a programme for increasing coffee production and export, which aims to triple the amount of coffee exported to 30,000 tons within two years.

This programme, which is designed more to support existing producers than to promote the crop, includes the delivery of 250 million coffee seedlings and 1.5 billion palm seedlings, according to news agency Angop.

Coffee is currently produced in 10 of Angola’s 18 provinces, namely Cabinda, Bengo, Kwanza Norte, Kwanza Sul, Uíge, Benguela, Huambo, Bie, Malanje and Huíla, in an area of ​​18,000 hectares, compared to 120,000 hectares in the period before independence in 1975.

In 2015 the coffee production structure comprised about 50,000 registered producers, of which 98 percent represented family farms and the remaining 2 percent were corporate farms in the provinces of Bengo, Kwanza Sul and Uíge.

In addition to increasing production, INCA is supporting sales programmes through direct purchase of coffee by private commercial agents and through rural markets in cooperation with the authorities.

“These programmes have contributed significantly to the distribution of coffee, thus increasing the interest in coffee production and agro-business,” INCA said, adding that there are currently high levels of collective sale of coffee and signing contracts for future sale of coffee, which ensures an increase in price for the farmers themselves.

INCA’s medium-term plan includes programmes that cover the re-launch of coffee production in Angola, through the increase in cultivation areas, production of coffee seedlings, improving productivity and quality, as well as the participation of more producers.

“We also expect to set up coffee husking units and washing factories in the production regions, as well as promoting the industrialisation and export of coffee with the installation of roasting and milling industries,” said Joao Ferreira Neto.

Recent studies by INCA found that in the medium term (five years), with investments channeled into coffee, Angola may be producing 50,000 tons of commercial coffee per year. This is about a quarter of the production before independence, when the country was the world’s fourth largest coffee producer. (macauhub/AO)

MACAUHUB FRENCH