Chinese company to build biomass power station in Guinea-Bissau

21 October 2016

The government of Guinea-Bissau on Thursday signed an agreement with Chinese businessman Xuguang Li, president of Shenyang Lan Sa Trading Co Ltd, for the construction of a biomass power plant to supply the cities of Bissau and Mansoa in the centre of the country.

Under the agreement, the Chinese side is committed to producing an unspecified amount of rice, of which 67% will be for consumption and the remaining 33% to feed the power station.

According to Li Xuguang, the signing of this memorandum is the culmination of five years of studies conducted by his company on the feasibility of the project.

The Minister of Agriculture, Rui Nene Djata said the deal comes in response to a call by the President of the Republic José Mario Vaz to intensify rice production to ensure food self-sufficiency in Guinea-Bissau.

The Shenyang Lan Sa Trading Co Ltd, headquartered in the province and Liaoning in northern China, in 2012 signed with the government of Guinea-Bissau a series of agreements to build social housing, an industrial complex in the capital, rehabilitation of a cotton factory in Bafata and construction of water collection and distribution facilities in Bissau. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH