Cuamba and Lichinga, in Mozambique, linked by rail once again

4 November 2016

The railroad between Cuamba and Lichinga, with an extension of 272 kilometres, started operating again after a standstill of six years due to its advanced state of disrepair, with its reopening ceremony taking place on Thursday in the capital city in Niassa province.

The spokesman for the Northern Development Corridor (CDN) company, told Mozambican news agency AIM that the cost of recovering the railway line was US$100 million, which was funded by shareholders.

The work included the replacement of wooden sleepers with concrete sleepers ensuring greater consistency, the strengthening of certain sections, new ballast placement and full replacement of the rails, which allows the trains to start running at a maximum speed of 50 kilometres per hour and to have a maximum of 24 carriages, compared to ten previously.

The Northern Development Corridor is a private company that resulted from a partnership between the Development Corporation of the Nacala Corridor (SDCN), with 51% and Mozambican state port and rail company CFM, with the remaining 49%. Its main activity is the use, management, financing, maintenance, and optimisation of infrastructure and rail and port services, as well as the development and operation of those facilities. (macauhub)