Government of Guinea-Bissau creates consortium to manage submarine cable

18 July 2017

The Government of Guinea-Bissau announced on Monday the creation of the Bissau Cabo consortium to manage the submarine cable that will connect to the Africa Coast Europe (ACE) submarine cable that connects Africa to Europe.

Within 18 months the new submarine fibre optic cable will increase the capacity of the network and of exchange of communications mainly through broadband Internet.

The Bissau Cabo consortium includes French mobile operator Orange and South Africa’s MTN, with 51%, while the Guinean state holds the remaining 49%.

At the signing of the memorandum to establish the consortium, the Minister of Transport and Telecommunications, Fidélis Forbs, said the project will help the development of Guinea-Bissau.

The World Bank provided US$35 million for the project. (macauhub)