The Mozambican government has already identified two companies interested in building the railway line that will connect the north to the south of the country, over a distance of 3,800 kilometres, said Transport and Communications Minister Carlos Mesquita.
The minister, quoted by daily Mozambican newspaper O País, did not disclose the companies’ names, but gave assurances that the economic viability study for the railway will be presented later this year.
At the same time as the presentation of the economic feasibility studies carried out by each of the applicant companies to carry out the works the details of the start date of construction and costs will also be announced.
The newspaper said previously announced figures on the amount to be paid for construction of the railway line between the north and the south of Mozambique and to connect with the existing lines between the interior and the coastline are around US$20 billion.
The project also provides for links to existing ports and those in preparation for construction in the coming years.
Mesquita was speaking on Tuesday at the Fifth Engineering Congress of Mozambique, held in Maputo from 4 to 6 September, which coincided with the 8th Luso-Mozambican Engineering Congress. (macauhub)