São Tomé and Príncipe candidate to become world agricultural heritage

20 November 2017

São Tomé and Príncipe plans to become world agricultural heritage, and a commission is preparing a “plan of action” to submit to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) said on Saturday in São Tomé an official responsible for the application.

“We want to promote a dynamic application, through which the country will have access to several benefits,” said Carlos Tavares, coordinator of the For Bio project (strengthening civil society in the conservation of biodiversity).

“We, at this stage, are responsible for driving this process, but it is the government that then will lead this application process with the FAO, through a multi-sector committee that will be set up in the coming days,” he added, quoted by Portuguese news agency Lusa.

Last week the Commission promoted some seminars to “collect subsidies” for the aforementioned action plan expected to be completed this year.

The intention is that within “the next two to three months” the candidacy of São Tomé and Príncipe for world agricultural heritage will be handed over to the FAO, which will then assess it.

“The country must meet five requirements that comprise food security, biodiversity, landscape and traditions of the communities related to the agro-forestry system,” said Tavares, who added he was convinced that within 12 to 18 months, São Tomé and Príncipe will be granted world agricultural heritage status. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH