Angola’s Biocom expected to produce 256,000 tonnes of sugar in 2018/2019

22 November 2017

Companhia de Bioenergia de Angola (Biocom) this year expects to produce a record 63,000 tonnes of sugar, with the third harvest to be completed this week, said the director of production, Fernando Guerra.

The production director said that the industrial extraction of sugar cane “is even above the average registered in Brazil,” and that sugar production maintains the trend for growth. The company plans in 2021 to cover, “a significant part of the demand from the country,” he added.

The Angolan market currently consumes approximately 300,000 tonnes of sugar per year and Biocom plans to produce around 256,000 tonnes by 2021, according to daily newspaper Jornal de Angola.

Biocom has invested US$12 million dollars in the current campaign on purchasing new equipment, namely agricultural tractors, equipment for the production of biomass, as well as to prepare the ground and planting.

Located in the municipality of Cacuso, 75 kilometres from the city of Malanje, Biocom is one of the largest agro-industrial projects in Angola, led by Brazil’s Odebrecht Group, which owns 40% of the company, with the remaining 60% shared between a private Angolan group, with 40% and state oil company Sonangol with 20%.

It is the only project of its kind in Angola and, in addition to sugar, produces ethanol and generates electricity that it provides to the public grid. In its first year – 2015/2016 – it produced 24,770 tonnes of sugar, 10,243 cubic metres of ethanol and generated 42,000 megawatt-hours of electricity. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH