Angolan bioenergy company plans to produce 100,000 tons of sugar in 2018

13 December 2017

Angolan biofuel company Biocom in 2018 plans to produce around 100,000tons of sugar, 20 thousand cubic metres of ethanol and generate 146,000 megawatts of electricity by processing of 900,000 tons of sugar cane, said Deputy Director-General Luís Bagorro Júnior, quoted by the Angolan press.

This year, after the June-December harvest, the company processed 567,000tons of sugarcane that produced 58,100 tons of sugar (against 51,500 tons in 2016), 12,000 cubic meters of ethanol and 62,600 megawatts of electricity.

With revenues in excess of US$200 million, Biocom currently has a planting area of ​​22,000 hectares, which could reach 42,500 hectares in the 2022 campaign, a year in which the company expects to be operating at full capacity.

Installed in the municipality of Cacuso, 75 kilometres from the city of Malanje, Biocom is one of the largest Angolan agro-industrial projects, led by Brazilian group Odebrecht, which owns 40% of the company. The remaining 60% is shared between the Angolan private company Cochan, with 40% and Angola’s state-owned oil company Sonangol, with 20%.

Biocom is the only such project in Angola and, in addition to sugar, produces ethanol and generates electricity that it places in the public grid. In the first campaign of 2015/2016, it produced 24,770 tons of sugar, 10,243 cubic metres of ethanol and 42,000 megawatts of power. (macauhub)