Angola Road Fund spends millions on maintaining national roads

8 January 2018

The Angolan Road Fund spent about 10 billion kwanzas (US$60 million) in 2017 to maintain 2,200 kilometres of national and secondary roads, said the director of Studies and Planning at the institution, Nascimento Cassule.

Cassule, quoted by Jornal de Angola, also said that 17% of the amount spent or 1.7 billion kwanzas came from revenues collected through road tax in 2016, with the remaining 83% of that amount coming from transfers from the State Budget.

The 2,200 kilometres of roads that benefited from maintenance work account for just 15% of all national roads, which in the last ten years have increased from 5,000 to 13,000 kilometres, leading to increased maintenance commitments in the country’s 18 provinces, said the official.

Cassule said that the basic network of roads linking the provinces has grown considerably, as did the secondary and tertiary roads, which increased from 26,000 to 56,000 kilometres.

In ten years, the Road Fund has seen road network growth of 200%, but tax collection for maintenance only covers 20% of needs.

The General Tax Administration (AGT) at a session to launch the sale of new road tax stamps on Friday, that more than 60% of motorists in the country did not pay road tax in 2016. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH