Construction of Angosat-2, Angola’s second communications satellite, begins on Tuesday, said the Angolan Minister of Telecommunications and Information Technologies, who made no formal announcement on the situation of Angosat-1, launched on 26 December 2017 from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.
Minister José Carvalho da Rocha gave an interview to Angolan state newspaper Jornal de Angola in which he said that the new satellite should be delivered to the Angolan authorities within 18 months, and Angola had accepted the proposal presented by Russian state space company Roscosmos to build the second satellite.
Angosat-2 will be more powerful than Angosat-1, the minister said, acknowledging that there had been “disruption” in the operation of the first satellite “from the very beginning.”
The minister also gave assurances that the construction of the new satellite will not have costs for Angola since the first one is covered by insurance of US$121 million, enough for the construction of another one.
The final assessment of Angosat-1 will be carried out on Monday in Luanda, at a press conference, and a technical team from Roscosmos is in the Angolan capital to attend the conference. (macauhub)