Construction of floating platform to extract Mozambican natural gas to begin in September

23 July 2018

Construction of the floating platform that will serve as the base for extracting and liquifying natural gas in the Area 4 block of northern Mozambique’s Rovuma Basin will begin in September, reports the Upstream Online specialised portal.

The portal cites a source from the South Korean shipbuilding company Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI), indicating that a decision had been made to begin cutting steel plate for the hull in September.

The platform’s construction was awarded in May 2017 to a consortium formed by Samsung Heavy Industries, France’s Technip and Japan’s JGC. It will be 439 metres long and 65 metres wide, have a draught of 38.5 metres and weigh 210,000 tons.

The Coral field was discovered by ENI in 2012 and contains nearly 450 billion cubic metres (16 trillion cubic feet) of natural gas. The first phase, expected to get underway in 2021, should see 5 trillion cubic feet extracted and processed.

The participants in the Area 4 block are Mozambique Rovuma Ventures, a partnership between the ExxonMobil, ENI and China National Petroleum Corporation groups, which together control 70 percent, with the remaining 30 percent divided in equal parts between Portugal’s Galp Energia, South Korea’s Kogas and Mozambique’s state-owned Empresa Nacional de Hidrocarbonetos. (Macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH