Fuel distribution companies in Angola are now able to import oil products

23 November 2018

Angolan companies operating in the fuel distribution and sales market will soon be able to import oil products, the Secretary of State for Mineral Resources and Oil announced on Thursday in Luanda.

Paulino Jerónimo, who was speaking at the opening of the 1st International Conference on Oil promoted by the Catholic University of Angola, said that specific legislation was in preparation for submission to the government by the end of the year.

“We want to open the market so that the companies (…) can import the fuel directly, without having to depend on the Sonangol concessionaire,” he said, adding that besides Sonangol Distribuição, Pumangol and Sonagalp also operate in the market.

The secretary of state, quoted by daily newspaper Jornal de Angola, recalled that the country has just one refinery with a production capacity of only 20% of the country’s needs, the remaining 80% being imported.

“The strategy adopted by the government was to go back to the project to build a refinery in Lobito with capacity for 200,000 barrels of oil per day and another in Cabinda with a capacity of 50 to 60 thousand barrels a day,” he said.

These measures are part of a set of government projects on the new model of operation of the oil industry in Angola, which includes the creation of the National Oil and Gas Agency (ANPG), which will take on the role of national concessionaire, as well as the restructuring of the Sonangol group. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH