Anglo-Angolan partnership opens factory for distilled spirits in Angola

29 November 2018

Angolan company Refriango and British group Diageo have teamed up to invest US$6.2 million in Angola in a distilled spirits factory, which opened on Wednesday, the local press reported.

The factory was built at the Refriango Industrial Complex in Kikuxi, and has daily capacity to produce 3,000 boxes of 12 bottles of 0.75 litres or 27,000 litres.

The Director-General of Diref (the name given to the equal partnership) Edgar Sousa, said that 75% of the raw material for the production of spirits will be purchased in Angola, the remaining 25% being imported, and it is expected that within three years Angolan participation will increase to 90%.

He added that the factory’s production will be for local consumption, with no exports planned, as Diageo already distributes its brands in more than 40 African countries, notably in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Zambia, Namibia, Gabon and Ghana.

In the first phase of production the new factory will produce some of Diageo’s international brands, distributed in Angola by Refriango, such as Smirnoff vodka, Gordons gin and Black & White whiskey, in glass, PET (recyclable plastic bottles), cans and other more innovative formats. (macauhub)