Mozambican government to resolve late payments to national companies by end of year

20 August 2019

The payment of overdue debts to suppliers of goods and services will be completed this year, the spokesperson of Mozambique’s Ministry of the Economy and Finance, Rogério Nkomo, told the Mozambican daily O País.

The country’s government owes 29.7 billion meticais (US$486 million) to companies that supplied goods and services to the state between 2007 and 2017.

The debt assumed by the government is nevertheless only 19.5 billion meticais (US$319.3 million), “allegedly because the remainder violated several administrative procedures.”

Nkomo assured the newspaper that most of the validated debt has already been resolved, and that the process should be finished by the end of the year.

The rest of the debt, 10.2 billion meticais, is now being analysed, he added.

The newspaper reported that 88.0 percent of the total debt (25.953 billion meticais) was contracted by central government bodies, while the remaining 12 percent (3.812 billion meticais) was the responsibility of local administrations. (Macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH