JFT consortium builds onshore facilities for a natural gas project in Mozambique

10 October 2019

The JFT consortium will draw up the Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) project for the first phase of the Rovuma LNG Liquefied Onshore Natural Gas facility under a contract signed on Tuesday in Maputo with Mozambique Rovuma Venture (MRV), the operator of the Area 4 block.

JFT, made up of the Japanese groups JGC Corp, US group Fluor and British group TechnipFMC, brings together world-leading companies with extensive experience in global liquefied natural gas projects, Portuguese group Galp Energia, one of the partners of that Rovuma basin block in northern Mozambique, said in a statement to the market.

Following the approval of the development plan by the Government of Mozambique (GoM), the signing of this EPC contract will allow the start of the first midstream and upstream activities, estimated at around US$500 million.

The statement added that the Government of Mozambique has also approved the project’s liquefied natural gas purchase and sale contracts, with Area 4 partners working on the remaining key steps for the final investment decision, expected by 2020.

The first phase of the Rovuma LNG project, which will produce, liquefy and sell natural gas from the Mamba fields, includes two liquefaction units with a capacity to produce 15.2 million tonnes per year, with production expected to start in 2025.

The Area 4 block is operated by Mozambique Rovuma Venture, a partnership between ExxonMobil, ENI and China National Petroleum Corporation, with a 70% stake, with the remaining 30% split equally between South Korea’s Kogas and Portuguese group Galp Energia and the Mozambican state-owned Empresa Nacional de Hidrocarbonetos (ENH). (Macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH