Employment rate in Angola stands at 71% of working population

5 December 2019

Angola’s employment rate stands at 71% of the working population, said on Wednesday in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire, the Secretary of State for Labour and Social Security, Manuel Jesus Moreira, who recalled that Angola’s total population is calculated at 30 million people.

Figures released by the National Statistics Institute (INE) showed that between May 2018 and February 2019, the unemployment rate was around 28.8% of the population aged 15-64.

Moreira, who was speaking at the opening of the 14th regional meeting of the International Labor Organization (ILO), stressed that, despite the extremely difficult scenario, along with an equally difficult economic context, where growth is expected to be just 1.8%, several legal instruments for job creation have recently been approved.

The Secretary of State, quoted by the Angop news agency, said the Action Plan to Promote Employability, approved by Presidential Decree on 16 April 2019, which aims to create 500,000 jobs in different areas, is being implemented.

Speaking on 15 October, the Angolan President said that between 2018 and the third quarter of 2019, nearly 162,000 new jobs were created, of which 80.3% were in public and private companies and the remaining 19.7% in public administration. (Macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH