Floating platform to process natural gas extracted in Mozambique is launched

15 January 2020

The floating platform that will collect and process the natural gas to be extracted in the Area 4 block of the Rovuma basin, in northern Mozambique, was launched into the sea on Tuesday, at a ceremony attended by representatives of the Mozambican State and companies involved in the project, the Mozambican press reported.

The platform, whose launch took place at the shipyard of Samsung Heavy Industries in the industrial city of Busan, South Korea, where it has been under construction since September 2018, is expected to reach Mozambique at the end of 2021 and start production of liquefied natural gas (LNG) the following year.

The platform is over 430 metres long and 66 metres wide and weighs an estimated 140,000 tonnes. It will later be increased by 12 modules for production and processing of gas weighing approximately 60,000 tonnes and also equipped with a residential complex with the capacity to house 350 workers.

All these components are being manufactured in the shipyards of Samsung Heavy Industries in Busan, but the platform is expected to later be connected to other units that will be manufactured in Singapore, France, Italy or even in the United States of America.

The Coral FLNG floating platform is one of the largest in the world and will be the first to carry out the liquefaction of gas extracted in deep waters, at a depth of about 2,000 metres. It will be anchored about 50 kilometres from the coast of the Anfugi peninsula, in Cabo Delgado province.

The Area 4 block’s operator is Mozambique Rovuma Ventures, a partnership owned by ExxonMobil, ENI and the China National Petroleum Corporation, which together control 70% of the holding, with the remaining 30% split in equal parts between Portuguese group Galp Energia, South Korea’s Kogas and Mozambican state oil company ENH. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH