Four hotels in Macau, including the Four Seasons, St. Regis and the Conrad in Cotai, in Taipa, have closed temporarily starting on Friday due to a lack of guests, government officials announced.
Following a decision to close Macau’s 41 casinos and entertainment and restaurant areas hotel occupancy rates are minimal, which is expected to lead to the closure of other hotels in the next few days.
Given this situation, Fitch Solutions has lowered its projection for the development of Macau’s economy, increasing its recession projection from 3.2% in 2019 to 3.8% this year due to the coronavirus.
Fitch also said that Macau’s casinos, which were required to close due to an outbreak of a new strain of coronavirus, may lose US$3.3 billion in the next six months.
In a statement, the agency said it expects a “drop of 50% and 25% in revenues in the first and second quarter in Macau.”
On Thursday the first case of coronavirus in Macau, a 52-year-old woman from Wuhan who was in Conde de São Januário hospital for six weeks, was discharged.
Macau has no new recorded cases of coronavirus since Tuesday and the nine people in hospital and in isolation are stable, according to the health authorities.
The Macau government in messages placed around the city and announced on the streets in Portuguese, Cantonese and Mandarin, are calling for prevention of the epidemic that it considered, “>to have reached its crucial moment.”
“Stay at home, avoid crowds of people. Together we will prevent the epidemic,” says the message.
The Chief Executive, Ho Iat Seng, meanwhile in a letter addressed to the population, thanked people for their, “understanding and support for the government’s prevention and combat tasks,” against the coronavirus.
In his message, Ho Iat Seng also thanked civil servants, particularly health workers and the officers on the frontline of the Safety and Security Services, “for dedication in doing their duties and the altruism shown for the wellbeing of the population and for social stability.”
The Chief Executive noted that the work to prevent and combat the potential epidemic in Macau has now entered a harder and more crucial stage.
Ho said he hoped security and order could be maintained in the city, “so that society may function and the daily life of the population can go back to normal as soon as possible.”
The Government has sent thousands of civil servants home, where they continue to do their work, has closed the casinos and announced the closure of cultural and sporting venues.
The banking sector is operating for a limited time, bus routes have been reduced and sea links with Hong Kong suspended at the instruction of the Chief Executive of the neighbouring Special Administrative Region.
Hundreds of flights between Macau and China and other cities in the region have been cancelled in the last few days.
The number of visitors has fallen drastically with just 40,000 daily entries and exits, which is a drop of 80% compared with the same period of last year.
The government has ensured that Macau has enough food and basic necessities for its population, as well as masks.
Meanwhile, the Hong Kong government announced on Friday that all Macau residents that have been in mainland China in the last 14 days will be placed under quarantine when they enter Hong Kong, starting on Saturday 8 February. (macauhub)