Macau prohibits non-residents from entering Macau with the exception of Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan

17 March 2020

The Macau government has forbidden, as of 00:00 on Wednesday, the 18th, the entry into the territory of all non-resident persons with the exception of residents of Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

The measure published today in the Official Gazette indicates that non-resident workers are also excluded from the entry ban in Macau.

On Monday the government had announced that all persons arriving in Macau from Wednesday, March 18, 2020, coming from countries considered to have a high incidence of epidemic would be placed in quarantine for 14 days.

The Secretary for Social Affairs and Culture, Ao Ieong U, said at a press conference held on Monday that these restrictions do not apply to residents of Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

This measure is imposed on “all individuals who travelled to the countries considered of high epidemic incidence in the 14 days prior to entry into the territory,” she said.

The Macau government had announced over the weekend that from Tuesday the citizens of 26 countries in the Schengen Area wishing to enter in Macau would be subject to a 14-day quarantine.

The measure also includes citizens from Brazil, Great Britain, the United States of America, Canada, Egypt and Australia.

Previously the government said that people from Germany, Italy, France, Spain, South Africa, Iran and Japan would also be obliged to undergo a quarantine period if they wish to enter in Macau. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH