Results of retail sales survey of Macao for the 1st quarter of 2020

26 May 2020

Information from the Statistics and Census Service (DSEC) indicated that value of retail sales for the first quarter of 2020 fell by 45.1% year-on-year to MOP11.24 billion amid the epidemic, and the sales volume index dropped by 44.8%.

As compared to the first quarter of 2019, sales values of Watches, Clocks & Jewellery (-57.5%), Department Stores (-56.4%), Adults’ Clothing (-52.9%) and Leather Goods (-51.0%) declined, whereas sale value of Supermarkets (+14.0%) increased. As regards volume of retail sales, sales volumes of Watches, Clocks & Jewellery (-60.7%), Department Stores (-54.3%), Adults’ Clothing (-48.2%) and Leather Goods (-47.3%) decreased, while sales volume of Supermarkets (+11.9%) showed growth.

Value of retail sales in the first quarter of 2020 dropped by 45.8% as compared with the revised figure (MOP20.75 billion) in the fourth quarter of 2019. Sales values of Watches, Clocks & Jewellery (-57.5%), Department Stores (-54.5%) and Cosmetics & Sanitary Articles (-54.0%) recorded decreases, whereas sales value of Supermarkets (+10.2%) increased. Sales volume index fell by 45.5% quarter-to-quarter, of which the indices of Watches, Clocks & Jewellery (-59.0%), Cosmetics & Sanitary Articles (-53.7%) and Department Stores (-53.5%) declined, while the index of Supermarkets (+8.4%) registered a rise.

In respect of retailers’ comments, 80.5% of the retailers anticipated a year-on-year decrease in sales volume in the second quarter of 2020, 13.3% expected the sales volume to stay stable and 6.2% forecasted an increase. Meanwhile, 68.1% of the retailers anticipated the retail prices will remain steady year-on-year in the second quarter, 27.0% foresaw a decrease and 4.9% expected an increase. As compared with the first quarter of 2020, about 52.9% of the retailers envisaged sluggish business in the second quarter, whereas retailers expecting stable performance (23.9%) and those anticipating a favourable outlook (23.2%) together accounted for 47.1% of the total.
(Statistics and Census Service)

Government Information Bureau: